Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Autoconfig in Nutshell

Which is most important file in entire E-Business Suite 11i ?
My network team is changing Hostname or IP of my E-Business Server, what should I do ?
Is there a single file which records entire system configuration ?
Oracle asked me to apply g driver patch on forms/reports tier only , how to confirm for forms/reports tier ?
Last week developers gave me some customization to put in some config file and they are gone now , why and how can I save them over written by other program ?

Well answer to all these questions is Autoconfig tool & Context file ( Very powerful file with XML tags which contain application configuration and details) So Context file is xml tagged file with format TWO_TASK_HostName.xml sitting under$APPL_TOP/admin on Application Tier and ORACLE_HOME/appsutil on Database tier ( Yes there is context file for database as well , but only for E-Business Suite database's )
So open context file and try to understand some tags (Yes these are Self explanatory and very simple to understand) : I will discuss few here

oa_system tag is for system configuration like
TIER_FORMS oa_var="s_isForms" YES TIER_FORMS YES : Means this tier is forms tier
oa_host tag is for host information like
host oa_var="s_hostname" appsserver host : means host name of this tier
domain oa_var="s_domainname" co.uk domain : means domain name so If sysadmin says they are changing hostname or domain name of system change here runautoconfig & couple of more steps , ( isn't this simple )
oa_environments Environment related configuration
TIER_ADFORMS oa_var="s_isAdForms" YES TIER_ADFORMS
TIER_ADNODE oa_var="s_isAdConc" NO TIER_ADNODE Means this is Forms Tier but not concurrent Manager Tier
GL_TOP oa_var="s_gltop" oa_type="PROD_TOP" oa_enabled="TRUE" /d10/avision/VIS11I/appl/gl/11.5.0 GL_TOP
GMA_TOP oa_var="s_gmatop" oa_type="PROD_TOP" oa_enabled="FALSE" /d10/avision/VIS11I/appl/gma/11.5.0 GMA_TOP
Means this product GL is enabled and GMA not

Cutomizing Autoconfig Enabled Services

Standard build In most of Production Environment don't meet your need , like you want to start more than One Jserv to cater lot of self Service Request or You want to Integrate forms with third party Java version ....I know you will confidently say I know how to Implement it , Using "Begin/End Customization" but are you aware that there is better way of doing this now i.e. Autoconfig Supported way .

Follow Metalink Note # 270519.1 Customizing an AutoConfig Environment
Note
Note:165195.1 Using AutoConfig to Manage System Configurations with Oracle
Note:218089.1 Autoconfig FAQ

You still thinking about Autoconfig , Go and ask your manager about any Test Instance & Start playing with Autoconfig but Study a lot about Autoconfig first ;-)

Have you left comment for this blog , if not plssssss leave one about anything and everything ..
Atul Kumar
mailto:Kumaratul_iiit@yahoo.com

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is too complicated, what is context file mean? I want to know about patching.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Atul,
The information is good. But i would be more interested if you can discuss how autoconfig works internally. Sometimes when i change a parameter in the context file and run autoconfig i see the change is reverted back once autoconfig completes successfully.Please let me know why it happens and how to resolve this. I think if we face such issues we need to run autoconfig on the db tier first then on Apps and things work fine. but i m not sure if this is the correct resolution of the issue.If yes what happens exactly? I hope you got my point.
Thanks
Sarika

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems you dont have answers to my questions :-)
Regards
Sarika

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does adconfig.txt do ?

12:50 AM  
Blogger Atul said...

Very Nice question about adconfig.txt

This file which exists in $APPL_TOP/admin is used by ad utilitites like adadmin or adpatch . It contains information like if this is web node & form node then will apply only those patch which are required for forms & web and accordingly.

Atul

2:31 AM  
Blogger One who listens said...

I have a question. I am probably showing my ignorance, but I cannot find a good explanation of the different values for oa_type.

PORT, PROD_TOP, DBC. All these things are meaningless to me. What are they for? When would you use one type over another.

I am a lost and confused little Owl.

Owl.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Atul said...

Owl,
I'll discuss them in my other blog at http://becomeappsdba.blogspot.com in future

Atul

7:16 AM  
Blogger Sridhar Reddy said...

Hi Atul,
Very nice to see beautifully documented features explained so clearly even more than a book could. Keep up all the good work and keep going.
Thanks a lot for all your effort.

-Sridhar

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home